Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Experiment #2: Roasted Brussel Sprouts




I've always wanted to like brussel sprouts, but until this past Christmas, couldn't get myself on board. But then, my mom - with the help of Guy Fieri - changed my perspective forever with his Bumped-Up Brussel Sprouts. I was skeptical at first, but alas, I succumbed to the allure of pancetta, capers and pine nuts. And boy, was I glad I did. The sprouts were, by far, my favorite part of the meal, and I wasn't the only one. Guy's recipe was so good, my relatives were eating leftover sprouts off of other people's plates, refusing to let a single one go into the garbage. That day I gained a new level of respect for him and for this humble vegetable. Kudos, Guy.

Now that I've seen the light, brussel sprouts are one of my favorites, and recently, I made a delightful version that I'd love to share. They were so good, Colin and I were literally fighting over the last bite.

Fighting over brussel sprouts. Huh. Never saw that one coming.


Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Maple Balsamic Glaze
adapted from Weight Watchers

1 pound uncooked Brussel sprouts, trimmed
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoons salt (kosher's best)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.

Slice Brussels sprouts in half, if large; place on prepared baking sheet. Add oil, salt and pepper; toss well to coat. Roast, stirring and rotating pan halfway through cooking, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine vinegar, maple syrup in a small saucepan; set over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring frequently, until thick and syrupy, about 3 minutes.

Spoon Brussels sprouts into a serving dish; drizzle with syrup mixture just before serving. 

Yields about a heaping 3/4 cup per serving.


And for those of you who may be curious about PointsPlus, it'll cost you 3, but I'd be willing to bet it will be the best three points you spend all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment