Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Apple Pancake... That's Not



When I think of my childhood, the first thing that inevitably comes to mind is the countless number of afternoons I spent with Legos. While other little girls were playing House or wielding a naked Barbie, my sister and I were on a mission to create the ideal-but-blocky Lego Town. Those were good times, simple times.

But beyond that, a memory that comes in a close second - and makes my tummy growl - is this delightfully sweet breakfast treat, Apple Pancake.

I've never been a morning person, but there is nothing that can get me to 'rise and shine' like a good, hot breakfast. As a kid (and as a bigger kid) there were many chilly Fall mornings where the only thing that could coax me from under the warm covers was this magical little pancake, that's actually not really a pancake at all.

It's hard to describe, so really, you should just make it and thank me later. But for the skeptics out there, it's kind of like a cup of custard and an apple pie had a baby. But, heck, pancake sounds a bit healthier and more breakfast-y, so let's go with it.

I like to make mine in a cast iron skillet, while my mom prefers her favorite copper-plated pan. To each, his own, I say. Because regardless of the vessel, this dish will truly change your mornings from here on out.

Enjoy :)


Apple Pancake

Whisk:
5 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 heaping cup flour

Saute:
6-8 small apples (I use a mix of Granny Smiths, Gala, Jonagold for a deeper flavor profile)
3-4 tablespoons butter

When the apples are browned and softened, add a good helping of cinnamon (teaspoon?) and brown sugar (1/4 cup?).

Cook for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Sprinkle more brown sugar (2-3 tablespoons) and butter (2 tablespoons?) over the top and place under the broiler until thoroughly melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment